If there’s one tool that every household has, regardless of how mechanically not gifted the members of the family are, that’s a screwdriver. You can get a ton of work done by these nifty little tools. Ranging from simply fastening the screws on your switches, disassembling particular furniture, or fixing something here and there, you should always keep a screwdriver close at hand.
This tool is sure to give you a better DIY experience (don’t do something that specifically asks for professional help, though!). Once the power is on, the cordless screwdriver will tighten or loosen screws as per your need. The best part would be that you don’t need to be in constant connection with an electrical outlet as these appliances function on battery-powered technology. If there’s ever a blackout, that won’t hinder the progress.
We’ve complied our top picks for best cordless screwdrivers after a ton of tests and trials.
Stick around if you want to find out which tool will provide the most value to you. But before that, let’s go over some basics.
The Best Cordless Screwdriver: Our Top 7 Compared and Reviewed.
1. Our Pick Best Powered Screwdriver: DEWALT DCF680N2 8-Volt
This convenient kit comes with a handy cordless screwdriver but it will also include a ton of other nits and bits that will help you get any job done safely, accurately, and thoroughly. It has variable speeds, is motion-activated, and if necessary, you can put it into reverse. The RPM level spans from 0 to 430, super effective on most surfaces, including plastic, wood, and metal.
The DEWALT DCF680N2 is generally one of the best cordless screwdrivers out there.
Top 3 Questions about the DCF680N2
1. What do you get in the kit?
A. You’ll get a charger and 45 pc screwing bit set.
2. What’s the material?
A. It’s made of plastic.
3. Is that case durable?
A. The ToughCase+ features bit retention system that keeps the bits secure. And it’s fairly durable.
2. Bosch PS31-2A Cordless Drill Set (B003BEE2LU)
If you like a more refined, professional touch to your tool kit, why not go for the Bosch PS31-2A kit? With a torque of 265 in-lbs., this cordless drill set doesn’t play around! There are two speed settings that can be altered on the multiple materials being used.
The 20+1 clutch setting builds up for a precise and accurate job done. You’ll get two 12V lithium-ion batteries with it, so you can care less about charge.
Top 3 Questions about the PS31-2A
1. Does it come with only one battery?
A. It comes with 2 lithium-ion batteries.
2. How does the warranty work?
A. The Bosch ProVantage warranty is backing up this tool up. The first year is a guarantee for tool replacement, the second and third count free tool repair guarantees. The battery warranty lasts for two years.
3. How much does this weigh?
A. The kit is about 4.73 lbs. but the tool is only 1.8 lbs.
Our Thoughts on Bosch:
A complete kit is a great way to purchase these power tools. Bosch’s ones are super-efficient and compact. You’ll be able to get a lot done with minimal effort. It’s one of the best on the list according to us.
3. BLACK & DECKER 6V MAX Cordless Screwdriver (B0000C6DXE)
The PD600 is the perfect DIY screwdriver as it combines high quality cordless driver benefits with extras. With your purchase, you’ll get two 2-inch hex shank screw driving bits and a charger. Integrated LED lights and a 23 position clutch only make it better.
You can choose between operating a screwdriver and a drill that can work on two different speeds.
Top 3 Questions about the B0000C6DXE
1. Do I risk damaging the driver if I leave it plugged in all the time?
A. No. The unit stops receiving the charge the moment the battery is full.
2. How long does it take to fully charge the battery?
A. Anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour depending on use.
3. Are any bits included?
A. Along with the driver, you get two bits (Flat head and Philips).
Our Thoughts BLACK & DECKER 6V:
It’s a great entry-level screwdriver. The price is amazing and you’ll be able to do the basics of what’s offered by an electrical screwdriver. It’s definitely for professional usage, more for the casual users who do light-duty work. You will wear it out pretty quick if you’re using it too often.
4. Makita DF012DSE 7.2V Cordless Drill Kit (B071F4XTPK)
The smart LED lights alerts you about when your screwdriver needs charging. No more walking out of the house and realizing a while later that your screwdriver may be low on charge. As there are two different speeds available, you can make the pick between 200 to 650 RPM to cater to your needs. It bends like a pistol too, if that’s how you do your work.
With the specific drill mode and 21 clutch setting, there isn’t much that this smart cordless screwdriver can’t do.
Top 3 Questions about the DF012DSE
1. How much does the screwdriver weigh?
A. It weighs 1.2 lbs.
2. What are the inclusions with the kit?
A. You’ll get a tool case, 7.2V - 12V max Lithium-Ion charger, the screwdriver, two batteries, two double ended Phillips Bit (784244-7).
Our Thoughts Makita DF012DSE:
Apart from the great features (obviously), we do particularly like the design. Say goodbye to dull designs on your tools because the Makita cordless drill kit comes in a striking blue bag with black accents; same for the appliances. The tool is super versatile and the two hold positions make it convenient to work with.
5. BLACK & DECKER 4V BDCSFL20C 42-Piece Standard Screwdriver Bit Set (B07S8C6QFY)
With its pistol shaped design, the Black & Decker BDCSFL20C makes an impression with the compact size yet mentionable features. The cordless screwdriver is easy to detect, grip, and use. You can handle it in three different position for maximum comfort. This also allows you to do jobs at any angle, even the ones that are downright almost impossible to reach. An integrated flashlight makes it easier to work in the dark.
We absolutely love how portable this it without cutting down on some of the major features. It’s the perfect on-the-go tool. You’ll get two bits and a charger with the kit.
Top 3 Questions about the B07S8C6QFY
1. Is it any good for precision jobs like computer components?
A. Yes, there are smaller bits that can work on PC.
2. How to know if the tool is charging?
A. There’s no visible indicator, but the charger does get a tad bit warmer to the touch.
3. What’s the country of origin?
A. This is made in China.
Our Thoughts on BLACK & DECKER 4V:
Although the handle can be bended in three different ways, it’s not the most ergonomic grip out there. Apart from that, the tool is packed and can easily get into tighter areas. We don’t think this would be great for heavy-duty tasks, so you should limit usage to smaller repairs and installations around the house or car.
6. Milwaukee 2401-20 M12 Screwdriver (B00VYNEEZO)
Are all the best cordless screwdrivers red and yet? Milwaukee 2401-20 demands attention with the design. This one is 12V, lithium-ion screwdriver, featuring one 0.25’’ hexagonal bit. The pistol grip style makes it relatively easier to hold and get into tougher nooks and crannies to get the job done. Don’t underestimate it because of the size; it packs a ROM of 500! And as a charging alert, there’s an in-built LED light.
The body is created out of mainframe plastic, but the build is still noteworthy. It’s small and compact, weighing in at simply 2 lbs. If you want to enhance the activities and the range of this cordless screwdriver, you can also buy some additional pieces.
Top 3 Questions about the B00VYNEEZO
1. Can I use this to drill through wood?
A. Surprisingly, yes. You would need an individual ¼’’ drive drill bit that’s compatible with the chuck style. There’s a clutch in the drill with that particular setting which would allow you to drill through wood.
2. Does this model feature the variable speed trigger?
A. The trigger is pressure sensitive and it controls the speed. There’s no separate switch.
3. Can I use a fuel battery?
A. Yes, you can use only the M12 version.
Our Thoughts On Milwaukee 2401-20 M12:
This cordless electric screwdriver surely holds a special place in the list due to its versatile use and sturdy build quality. Its 120V battery charger adds benefit to its overall features. Although, a minor setback described by the users is that its speed-control is not very user-friendly. But, its pros obviously outweighs the setbacks and it continues to be a good cordless screwdriver.
7. BLACK & DECKER AS6NG Cordless Screwdriver (B004HY3APW)
This has got to be one of the best cordless screwdrivers for the easiest jobs around the house, and that’s exactly why Black & Decker made it – for installing light switches and blinds, hanging curtain rods, and some other chores. It combines 20 in-lbs. of force with a limited 130 RPM, which is quite “soft” in comparison to the other entrants on this rundown, but it does what it would be bought for.
This one functions on 4 AA batteries, or you can turn on manual mode. An attached peg-hole lets you keep it on a peg board. On top of that, it’s so small and lightweight, it fits literally everywhere.
Top 3 Questions about the B004HY3APW
1. Could you use rechargeable batteries with this?
A. Users have said that they did this and didn’t face any issues.
2. How do you change the bits of this tool?
A. There’s an arrow on a button along the side of the screwdriver that locks and unlocks the bit.
3. Would this accommodate one diamond tipped drill bit?
A. It doesn’t have enough power to run a drill bit.
Our Thoughts On BLACK & DECKER AS6NG:
Sure, it’s not the fanciest screwdriver in the market, but you have to consider the price it comes at! In general, it’s a handy tool to keep around the house that’s able to perform some precision tasks. Amazon users have very positive thoughts, and we agree with them completely.
Detailed Q&A on Cordless Screwdrivers
1. What is Cordless Screwdriver?
An electric hand tool made to drive screws. As simple as that! In comparison to their manual counterparts, cordless screwdrivers are much more time and energy efficient on tasks that require you to install/take out a ton of screws. Prices can span from anywhere between $8 to hundreds of dollars, depending on the kind of the tool.
These cordless screwdrivers also have the name “Electric screwdrivers”, and they’re incredibly portable and versatile. They can sit comfortably in the palm of the hand but still be ready to perform anything from light maintenance to large-scale DIY projects.
Since there’s no added hindrance of a cord slowing you down or limiting your movement, you can move about almost everywhere as you work. These operate on rechargeable batteries, typically lithium-ion.
2. Are Cordless Screwdrivers Any Good?
One of the best things about a cordless screwdriver is that you can use it for taking out or driving screws from hard-to-reach or awkward places.
Here’s a small list of everything you can achieve by owning this appliance:
- Energy efficiency: We’ve mentioned this multiple times till now, but a cordless screwdriver is saves more effort and energy compared to hand-driven option.
- Time efficiency: Get things done in half the time of what you’d need by using a manual screwdriver. Thus, increasing productivity.
- Versatility: A cordless screwdriver will come with an array of bits, so there isn’t any need to bring along another entire set of manual screwdrivers meant to fit this socket or that head.
- Precision: A cordless screwdriver gives much more precise and accurate driving, mostly due to the speed and torque which can’t be reached by manual means.
- Cost efficiency: Instead of getting a range of hand-driven screwdrivers, an electric screwdriver kit will be the more sensible choice. The set will cost less than the total of the separate screwdrivers.
3. Who Has the Best Cordless Tools?
Dewalt is one of the forerunners in the cordless tool industry. The high-quality products have been in great demand throughout the world for decades. Raymond Dewalt founded the company in 1927, and he’s the one who perfected the radial arm saw.
Apart from the amazing power tools, woodworking tools, drills, table saws, are all specialties of Dewalt. The biggest thing setting Dewalt apart from competitors is the efficient operation, durable build, and the long-term, reliable service.
Loyal fans believe the brand is aiming the set a new standard for best power tools using their FlexVolt platform. The product line is impressive too – some of the best cordless drills, strong batteries, and portable power stations. Whether you’re an amateur or a professional, you will enjoy their products.
Here are our personal favorites from the brand:
1. Dewalt DCK1020D2 20V Combo Kit
- Quick-change attachments.
- High capacity lithium-ion batteries.
- 3-year warranty.
2. Dewalt DCK240C2 20V Combo Kit
- High performing motor.
- Ergonomic and lightweight design.
- Single-handed bit loading.
No matter what power tool we’re talking about, or any reviewer is talking about for that matter, you’ll spot at least one Dewalt product. That’s very self-explanatory.
4. How Do I Choose a Cordless Screwdriver?
Too many options in the market? Can’t make your mind after going through all those product specifications and reviews? We’re there to help.
Check out this guide which will help you buy a cordless screwdriver worth the buck.
- Straight – A straight cordless screwdriver features a straight handle but there’s a bit at the end that gives it the appearance of a manual screwdriver.
- Pistol – A pistol cordless screwdriver almost looks like a cordless drill, but it’s typically lighter, not as powerful, and conveniently more compact.
- Variable – This cordless screwdriver merges the benefits of a straight cordless screwdriver and a pistol one. Hold it in a straight position, or give it that pistol-type grip by bending at the pivot point.
- Simple Electric Screwdriver – This one is basically a simple electric screwdriver. It resembles a traditional screwdriver. A simple electric screwdriver is good for small and light space, but something packs only 3.6V or 4V of power, so it’s not the best for tougher jobs.
- Impact – In comparison to the previous, an impact is a more powerful option. It’s good for removing damaged or rusty screws, or excessively large ones.
- Drill Driver – If you want a 2-in-1 tool, this is the one for you; doubling as a drill. Since it gets two kinds of jobs done, it could save money in the long run.
5. What to Look for to Buy the Best Cordless Screwdrivers
- Purpose and Size: Well, there are different types of materials and various screw sizes. Depending on your needs, the best choice will vary.
- You can opt for a small, pocket-sized option, or go for a bigger, bulkier, but more powerful type, all depending on what you were looking for to begin with.
- Speed and Torque: Torque and speed are two crucial factors when you’re out shopping for best cordless screwdrivers.
- Speed is measured by RPM (Rotations Per Minute) and means the screwdriver’s chuck’s rate of rotation. A few cordless screwdrivers touch the 500 RPM mark.
- On the other hand, torque refers to amount of force the screwdriver can generate while rotating. Majority power tools offer an elevated level of torque at a reduced speed, or a lower torque one featuring higher speed. Torque decided to actual power of the cordless screwdriver.
- Battery: As mentioned before, lithium-ion batteries are the most used batteries for cordless screwdrivers, but there are some models containing Nickel-Cadmium batteries. With time, the lithium-ion has become a popular choice since it’s lighter, smaller in size, and retain power within them better.
- Concerning battery power, capacity and duration are two determining factors. The capacity fixes the amount of charge it can retain and the size of the motor decides how long the cordless screwdriver can be used without needing recharging.
- Weight: Weight varies between one cordless screwdriver and the other. Some stand at merely 1.5 lbs., while others go over 3 lbs. There’s almost a tradeoff between features and portability.
- Weight can be a very important factor if you need to hold the cordless screwdriver for a long period, otherwise it shouldn’t be that major of an issue.
- Grip and comfort: A steady grip decreases hand fatigue, easing long periods of work. The material of the grip will different between manufacturers and they even come in varying shapes.
- An ergonomic design combined with a rubberized handle will always provide the best grip. However, if you plan on using the tool once in a blue moon, or very less, then the comfort and grip won’t be a big deal.
We personally think that the Bosch PS31-2A Cordless Drill Set is the best cordless screwdriver out there. The size, design, extras, features, all combine to make it a total package. It does lean toward the expensive side, but you’ll be getting a range of bits to widen your work range, so the value is great.
Any other of the picks are great and will hopefully satisfy you. Make sure to compare the appliance’s specs with your requirements so you don’t over or under spend.